So, the Apple Event is finally done and dusted, and though there’s another event expected as near as next month, the September 10th event did have some interesting announcements and launches. Here’s a neatly organized, super-summarized, non-chronological rundown of all the scoop from Apple’s big event, in 1500 words or less.
The center(s) of attraction, the iPhone 11 series was finally out officially, consisting of 3 variants, with up to 3 cameras at the back, fresh colors, the new A13 Bionic SoC (with a faster GPU) among other specs.
iPhone 11 Specs & Features
- Display – 6.1-inch FHD+ Liquid Retina display with True Tone, Wide color range & Haptic Touch (not 3D touch).
- Cameras – Dual rear cameras: a 12MP wide 26mm f/1.8 with OIS & a 12MP ultra-wide 13mm f/2.4 with 120-degree FoV; 12MP front TrueDepth wide camera.
- The rear cameras feature a new stereoscopic depth mode, allowing you to take portrait shots of animals and a new ‘High-Key Mono’ Portrait Mode setting for intense monochrome shots.
- There’s automatic Night Mode for the rear cameras, that you can’t toggle manually during the day. It only appears when you fire up the camera in a low-light environment.
- Both the rear sensors can shoot 4K 60 fps videos with extended dynamic range, and holding the shutter button in the camera UI now records video (this feature is called the QuickTake mode).
- The front sensor can shoot 4K videos at 30 fps with extended dynamic range, and super-slow-motion videos which Apple called “Slofies”.
- The front sensor has a slightly wider FoV than before. Rotating the phone to landscape while taking selfies lets the camera app make use of the wider FoV.
- Internals – The new Hexa-core A13 Bionic SoC which Apple claims to have the fastest CPU and GPU of any smartphone to date; 4 gigs of RAM, 64/128/256 gigs of non-expandable storage, an hour more of battery life than the iPhone XR as claimed by Apple.
- Misc – Features “Spacial Sound” for a virtual surround-sound experience from the loudspeaker. Six new colors: purple, green, yellow, white, black & red.
- Prices & Availability at the end of the post.
iPhone 11 Pro Specs & Features
- Display – 5.8-inch Liquid Retina OLED “XDR” 458 ppi display with HDR10, Dolby Vision & 1200 nits of peak brightness, & Haptic Touch (not 3D touch).
- Cameras – Three rear cameras: a 12MP wide 26mm f/1.8 with OIS, a 12MP telephoto 52mm f/2.0 with OIS, & a 12MP ultra-wide 13mm f/2.4 sensor with 120-degree FoV; same 12MP TrueDepth front camera from the iPhone 11.
- The triple-camera-setup offers a 4x zoom range (2x in and 2x out), thanks to the telephoto and ultra-wide lenses.
- All three rear cameras can shoot 4K 60 fps videos simultaneously, with extended dynamic range. There also is ‘Audio Zoom’ to boost audio from the subject while shooting videos. This lets you quickly and seamlessly jump between the three lenses while shooting videos without losing focus, color temperature, or audio levels.
- “Deep Fusion”, a feature coming soon via a software update, shoots 9 pics and fuses them with the help of iPhone’s neural engine for a detailed shot with better noise-reduction (kind of like HDR).
- Internals – Same new Apple A13 Bionic, which has the fastest machine-learning computation according to Apple, 4 gigs of RAM, 64/256/512 gigs of non-expandable storage, 4 hours more battery life than the iPhone XS (thanks to removal of the pressure-sensitive 3D touch display).
- Misc – Loaded with Dolby Atmos for audio. Features “Spacial Sound” for a virtual surround-sound experience from the loudspeaker. Comes in 4-color variants: Space Gray, Gold, Silver, and a new Midnight Green. 18-Watt fast charger included in the box.
- Prices & Availability at the end of the post.
iPhone 11 Pro Max Specs & Features
Everything from the 11 Pro, except a bigger footprint, thanks to the larger 6.5-inch slightly higher-res display (still 458 ppi) and a slightly larger battery that can now last up to 5 hours more than last year’s XS Max.
iPad 2019 (7th Gen)
Apple launched the 2019 refresh of the iPad, which now catches up a bit with newer specs and features. Here’s everything about it that you should know:
- Display – 10.2-inch Retina Display with 3.5 million pixels.
- Internals – A10 Fusion chip for improved AR and VR prowess, Gigabit-class LTE speeds, 10-hours of battery life.
- Software – iPad OS with features like web-app support, dark mode, PiP & Split View.
- I/O & Misc – Includes a Smart Connector port for the Smart Keyboard, also supports Apple Pencil, USB OTG.
- Price & Availability at the end of the post.
Apple Watch Series 5
Following the tradition, we get a refresh to the Apple Watch this year as well. In the fifth generation of the smart wearables, here’s all we get to make use of:
- Always-on Retina Display, with a special low-temp polysilicon display that allows you to see the time, your workout stats and complications.
- 18-hour battery life with the always-on display.
- A built-in compass and a new compass map that shows latitude, longitude, elevation & incline, fall detection.
- Every cellular version has support for international emergency calling.
- Aluminum models come in Silver, Gold, and Space Grey colors; stainless steel models come in Polished, Space Black, and Rose Gold; (new) titanium models come in Space Black and Space White; and finally, there’s also a ceramic model that comes in White.
- Prices & Availability at the end of the post.
Done with the hardware announcements, time for software!
We already saw this coming. Apple’s monthly-subscription based gaming platform: Arcade is here. Apple started with a demo of Frogger, which honestly looked old-school. Other demos of exclusive games like Sayonara Wild Hearts looked interesting though. We wish apple highlighted more exclusive games, but all we were shown were family-friendly content. We expect more fun and exciting games from all the developers on board with Apple Arcade.
Apple Arcade is priced at $5/month, and it arrives in 150 countries on September 19th.
And now, Apple is into the whole exclusive content-streaming game with TV+. The introduction to TV+ started with the trailer of See, an exclusive TV+ original show starring Aquaman/GoT star Jason Momoa.
The first batch of original shows for Apple TV+ drop on the 1st of November, with the service launching in more than 100 countries. Pricing is kept at $5 per month, that too for a family subscription. Now that’s cheap!
Also, you get a year of free TV+ subscription when you purchase an iPhone, iPad, MacBook, or Apple TV.
New Apple Watch research studies
Apple announced three new health studies that Apple Watch users can elect to participate in via the upcoming Apple Research app:
- Apple Heart & Movement Study – See how Apple Watch metrics and stats can serve as early warning signs for your health.
- Apple Hearing Study – See how long-term exposure to various kinds of sounds affects your hearing abilities and health.
- Women’s Health Study – See how menstrual cycles can inform screenings for particular health issues.
Pricing & Availability
The part you’ve been waiting for, and your wallets haven’t. Here’s how much you’re gonna spend (if you have to) on the new Apple products:
|Product||Variant||Price (USD)||Price (INR)||Availability|
|iPhone 11||64GB||699||64,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, Available from 20th Sep.|
|128GB||749||69,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|256GB||849||79,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|iPhone 11 Pro||64GB||999||99,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|256GB||1149||1,13,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|512GB||1349||1,31,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|iPhone 11 Pro Max||64GB||1099||1,09,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|256GB||1249||1,23,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|512GB||1449||1,41,900||Pre-order opens 13th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|iPad 2019||WiFi||329||29,990||Pre-order opens 10th Sep, available from 30th Sep.|
|WiFi + Cellular||459||40,990||Pre-order opens 10th Sep, available from 30th Sep.|
|Watch Series 5||GPS||399||40,990||Pre-order opens 10th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|GPS + Cellular||499||49,990||Pre-order opens 10th Sep, available from 20th Sep.|
|Arcade||Family subscription||4.99 / month (one month free-trial)||99 / month (one month free-trial)||Available from 19th Sep|
|TV+||Family subscription||4.99 / month (free 1 year subscription)||99 / month (free 1 year subscription)||First shows drop Nov 1st|
-  Base price only. Price changes according to storage/build/color. Visit Apple’s website for complete pricing information.
-  Available in select countries/regions only.
-  With new iPhone, iPad, MacBook & Apple TV purchases only.
Apple has also revised the prices of existing models. The iPhone XR that launched at $749 (INR 59,900) is now available from $599 (INR 49,900), and the iPhone 8 is now available from $449 (INR 39,900). There also have been price-cuts on the iPhone XS and XS max in many regions following the launch. The new iPhone lineup looks like:
Also, Apple Watch Series 3 GPS variant shall now sell for $199 (INR 20,990).
In India, the festive season is right around the corner, and we are already seeing a lot of price-cuts and discounts on Apple products, both online and offline. What are you planning to buy? New iPhones, or older ones on a discount? Let us know in the comments below, we’re curious af!